The Game of Truth (Ingen går fri)
The Game of Truth (Ingen går fri). 1948.
Like The Striver, this play explores themes of self-deception and betrayal. Dagerman very likely had the idea for this play while writing the novel A Burnt Child, and this one he wanted to direct himself. In 1948, he adapted the novel (and made some changes to the story) into the play Ingen går fri (The Game of Truth). With his closest friend, actor/director Bengt Ekerot, playing the lead, Stig Dagerman made his directorial debut (with mixed success) that same year.
- Le jeu de la vérité. Directed by Daniel Bresse. Théâtre 14, Paris, France.
- Ingen går fri. Directed by Bo Widerberg. Malmö Stadsteater, Sweden.
- Le jeu de la vérité. Directed by Patrick Collet. Théâtre de l'utopie, La Rochelle, France.
- Ingen går fri. Directed by Göran Parkrud. Borås Stadsteater, Sweden.
- Ingen går fri. Directed by Stig Dagerman. Malmö Stadsteater, Sweden.
Scenes from the Borås production of Ingen går fri.
Editions & Translations
- Swedish: Judasdramer, Norstedts, 1948. Teater 2, Norstedts, 1982.
- French: L'Arriviste suivi de Le Jeu de la vérité, Actes Sud, 1991.